The much awaited Apple smartphone has been revealed across the world. The next-generation smartphone has landed and we can take a glimpse at its impact.
Here is what’s new about an iPhone 7 and plus – it’s going to be interesting for iPhone lovers
1. Design: As expected the antenna has been redesigned to fit within the enclosure: in this traditional video, Jonathan said the design “essentially makes it disappear”. This gives the phone smoother lines and less cluttered design – loss of the 3.5mm headphone jack. Instead of the traditional headphone connection, iPhone packages will now come with earphones that fit into the iPhone’s Lightning port, currently used for charging and data transfer.
2. Home button: The home button has been given a vibration-based taptic feedback system so it now vibrates when touched to give users feedback. The feature is already in use on the firm’s MacBook laptops.
3. Water resistance: Apple consistently referred to the iPhone 7 as “water-resistant” rather than “waterproof”. With an IPX67 rating, that means the hardware can withstand immersion in up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. The iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus are water and dust resistant. It required all new re-engineering. Both phones are IP67-certified.
4. Upgraded camera: The iPhone comes with a superior camera. All new 12-megapixel image sensor + optical image stabilisation + 4-led lens + Flickr sensor + 6-element lens and an Apple-designed image processor. Both models will also have 12-megapixel sensors as well as 4K video recording capability and can zoom 2X in high quality. This can lead the app more accurate and proper for image processing kind of development. This may also needs to change in image storage inside the app or in backend in terms of data storage space.
5. Display: The screen size, resolution, and pixel density are the similarly (4.7 inches, 1334 × 750 pixels and 326 pixels per inch, respectively), there are numerous improvements to the display on the iPhone 7. Apple claims that it’s 25 percent brighter than the past era, with a wide colour range and enhanced colour management. So app UI will look good.
6. Audio: Apple has upgraded the phone receiver at the head of the device – the one can listen to when talking – into an appropriate speaker unit with the same power as the one at the bottom of the phone. It means when you’re not talking on the phone, can listen to music, with the device in landscape orientation, in stereo. The two speakers are far enough apart to produce a worthwhile stereo effect. According to Apple, it’s twice the volume, offers increased dynamic range. It may have API related changes to take advantage in application development related to audio.
Stay tuned for our next article related to iOS API changes.
7. A pair of Lightning EarPods: One of the most debatable decisions to kill the headphone jack, instead transmitting the phone with a pair of Lightning EarPods that connect through the charging port – and wireless Apple AirPods, controlled by a W1 chip. Infrared sensors discover when each pod is in a ear and motion sensors control the headphones to use Siri and identify the voice.
8. Wireless AirPods: Apple’s new AirPods are wireless headphones, an entirely separate unit for each ear. They’re white, and minimalist, and rather charming. Infrared sensors detect when each pod is in your ear and motion sensors control the headphones to utilize Siri and identify your voice. It is designed to connect to all Apple devices just on one tap. While discussing tapping, need to double-tap on the headphone itself to activate Siri. Apart Apple says, “is good for 5 hours of listening from a single charge”.
9. Performance: The model will be powered by a new Apple A10 Fusion which has a 64-bit 4 core CPU and has 3.3 billion transistors. 40% faster than A9 of iPhone 6s and double the speed of the A8 processors. It also has a ramped up graphics performance that is also 40 % more powerful than the A9. Apple claims this is “the most powerful chip ever in a smartphone”. Hence app will become much smoother to play even game development can take advantage of this faster performance of chip.
10. Battery life: The models consist of long-lasting battery life ever in an iPhone. An iPhone 7 lasts two hours longer on an average compared to iPhone 6s and an hour longer than iPhone 6s Plus. The battery life of an iPhone 7 serves 14 hours while using WiFi and 12 hours on 4G. The iPhone 7 Plus meanwhile lasts 15 hours on WiFi and 4G too.
So user can take advantage of the apps which continuous fetch/monitor user’s location server better data.
Prices to remain static
Smallest storage size to increase to 32GB for the same cost
256GB model at the top end
The iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus in Piano Black finish will be available only in the 128 and 264GB versions. Let’s see what’s there for iOS iPhone Swift developers in our upcoming blog.